Pages

Monday, March 5, 2012

Electric Pie Maker

I have no pictures to post today.  I just wanted to write about my new toy.  I bought an electric pie maker from Amazon the other day.  It was around $25.  I saw one at Williams Sonoma but it was out of my price range, to say the least.  If you saw my Valentine's post you know that my husband is English and has a soft spot for meat pies and I have a super sweet tooth. I thought the pie maker would come in handy to suffice for both, and tonight it was half way there.

I decided to make homemade chicken pot pies.  The recipe seemed easy enough, but it took a while to get use to my new toy.  I used a dough recipe I got off of the web for the crust.  It had sage in it, seemed strange at the time, but it was worth it later.  The filling was chicken, broccoli, potatoes, and carrots.  I was trying to hide the veges from my kids.  Epic fail!

The filling came out pretty good. It only took about 30 mins to make it.  The dough was relatively easy to make, but I barely squeezed 4 mini pies out of it.  I doubled  the recipe the 2nd time but it was really hard to roll. Then the pie cutter had mixed instructions so i wasn't sure which was the top or the bottom as one was smaller than the other.  Logic would say the larger piece would go on the bottom to go all the way up the side, but I found it to be illogical : )

I over stuffed the pies a few times and made a big mess.  I loved the crust but my hubby didn't care for it so I had to change it half way through. My crust recipe that I used the 2nd time had so much crust that I had to make a pie : )  I still had crust leftover after the pie, but not enough for anything.  I must say that the Keylime Pie was awesome!  I didn't take a pic because it wasn't much to look at, but it was really good.  Simple recipe too, sweetened condensed milk, egg yolk, and lime juice. You can see the recipe on my Pinterest.

Weds night I'm going to make mini Keylime Pies for my Bunco group.  I love my new toy!

1 comment: